Handling Retirement And Benefits Division
Military personnel and their families make many sacrifices as a matter of course. Retirement plans and other benefits are an important part of the compensation they receive, during both their time of service and the years that follow.
If you or your spouse is in the military, and you are going through or anticipating a divorce, you may have questions about how a divorce will impact your retirement, your benefits and your other assets. If you are searching for an attorney to represent you, make sure he or she has an in-depth understanding of these crucial issues.
Representing And Advising Military Personnel And Their Spouses
At the law firm of Alan E. DeWoskin, P.C., our St. Louis military divorce lawyer understands the division of retirement and benefits in the military. We represent servicemembers and spouses of servicemembers in divorce cases involving difficult property division and retirement matters. Our lawyer is a retired military veteran who understands firsthand how military benefits work. In helping you reach the best possible outcome in your case, our firm can:
- Advise you regarding the manner in which a court may determine and divide marital property
- Explain the rules regarding the division of benefits between divorced spouses
- Explain the role of Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS)
- Answer questions and correct myths regarding the “10-year rule,” which relates to the government paying benefits directly to military spouses after 10 years of marriage coinciding with 10 years of military service
- Address health insurance benefits and the “20-year rule,” which refers to health benefits provided to former military spouses after 20 years of service and marriage
We Understand Military Issues Related To Family Law
At the law firm of Alan E. DeWoskin, P.C., our founding attorney Alan DeWoskin, has a substantial military background. He is a retired colonel who served in the Army Judge Advocate General’s (JAG) Corps. Our firm is highly experienced with regard to both military law and family law. We help servicemembers resolve challenging legal matters and protect their legal rights.
Military Asset Division Attorney Serving St. Charles And St. Louis, Missouri
Do you have questions about divorce and military benefits? Contact us to schedule an appointment with our lawyer.