How is child support enforced and who can receive state help?

On Behalf of | Sep 28, 2018 | Divorce

Missourians who are supposed to receive child support should get it in full and on time. However, there are times when they do not get the payments as they are supposed to and it is necessary to seek help from the Family Support Division. When seeking that help, it is first important to know who is eligible for child support services. Then, it is beneficial to understand what steps FSD can take when child support is not being paid and no other attempts to receive the payments have been successful. Knowing this information is key before taking the next step.

The FSD will provide child support services to a variety of people and it is not limited to the custodial and noncustodial parents. Should there be others who are involved in child support in addition to the custodial parent with whom the child is living or the noncustodial parent with whom the child is not living, the FSD can help them. That includes custodians who are relatives or non-relatives if the non-relative has been given legal custody or guardianship; adult children who are age 18 to 21; men who might be the biological father if the paternity is not officially known; and the child’s legal representative if the custodial parent has died.

To enforce child support orders that are not being paid, the FSD can: withhold wages from a variety of areas such as workers’ compensation, unemployment and more; intercept income tax refunds from the state and federal government; order employers to enroll the child in the health care plan; inform credit bureaus that the payments are past due and negatively impact the credit score; file a lien on property; intercept lottery winnings; suspend driver’s or professional licenses; request a prosecutor to file charges for non-payment; and work with other states if the supporting parent does not live in Missouri.

For parents and others who have a vested interest in a child’s well-being and need help with child support or any other issue related to the child, the FSD can help. To move forward with an attempt to collect child support through the above methods, calling a law firm that specializes in divorce, child support and other areas of family law should be the first step.

Practice Areas

Military Law
Family Law
Social Security Disability
Worker’s Compensation
Personal Injury